"A love worth dying for, a love that consumes you" (Mishima, 41)

Since tomorrow is Valentines Day, it is kind of necessary to mention something that had to do with love, or happiness. When I made this realization, I realized that I knew the perfect quote, noted above. Ryuji, a sailor, is not speaking about Fusako, the lady he is in love with, but rather, the sea. The sea is his idea of glory, his idea of happiness. To Ryuji, the sea is a kind of salvation, something he uses to detach himself "from the land forever". However, it later becomes his whole life, something that completely consumes him. Only when he detaches himself from it, to marry Fusako does he feel unhappy, out of place. Ironically enough, it is Noboru, the son of Fusako, that reunites him with the sea, using a unique approach-one that will remain unnamed, since I don't want to completely ruin the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment