Monday, March 12, 2012

"Time is of the essence..."

                                           

I came across this online a few days ago, and I thought I'd like to share it to you all. Initially, it was the apocalypse statement that got my attention. However, as I looked deeper, at the message as a whole, I realized that it was truly about time. Time, to us, is a never-ending thing, something that we cannot fully explain. The Oxford English Dictionary defines time as "the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future, regard as a whole". I agree with this definition; yet, I think that the idea of time is more than that. 

In The Sailor who Fell from Grace with the Sea, as Ryuji looks at the sunrise, he feels that it is "time to abandon" his dream, to realize that there is no glory, to "open his eyes" (110). This is the idea of time in another context, and nevertheless, with a similar meaning. At first, I thought this quote revealed his new found maturity. However, now, I see it as Ryuji defining the end of one time, or era, and the beginning of another. It is here that a question arises: can we dictate time? Is it possible for us to truly declare that today is March 12, 2012 and that it is 6:24 p.m.? 

I guess that's just something to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment